1. With the invention of the machine in 1947, Mikhail Kalashnikov received the Stalin prize of the first degree and the order of the red Star. The prize was 150 thousand rubles For this money you could buy almost ten «Victories» (then this car was worth 16 thousand rubles).
2. The machine was adopted in 1949. Its official name — «7.62-mm Kalashnikov sample 1947» (AK-47). Also often referred to as a «Kalash». According to the designer, the main qualities of its weapons are «simplicity and reliability». «I created the machine, being a Sergeant, and constantly remembered, that the soldiers academies did not finish,» — said the Kalashnikov.
3. In Soviet times, the ability to assemble and disassemble a Kalashnikov rifle entered the minimum knowledge received at lessons of initial military preparation. 4. A Kalashnikov rifle is not very expensive because of the simplicity in production. In some countries it is cheaper than chicken.
5. According to the magazine Foreign Policy, the cost of one machine gun on the black market ranges from $ 10 in Afghanistan to 4 thousand dollars in India. In the U.S., a Kalashnikov rifle can be purchased for $ 70-350.
6. The Kalashnikov rifle is in the «Guinness Book of records» as the most common weapon in the world. Currently there are around 100 million AK. This means that 60 of the adult population of our planet has 1 machine.
7. The Kalashnikov rifle is used by armies and special forces of 106 countries. Armed native army weapons Kalashnikov is 60 years.
8. The Kalashnikov assault rifle depicted in the coat of arms of some States. Currently it is present in the coat of arms of the African country of Zimbabwe (1980 -), coat of arms and flag of Mozambique (since 1975), the emblem of the Asian state of East Timor. From 1984 to 1997 AK was depicted on the emblem of the African state of Burkina Faso. In addition, the project there was a breaker switch in the coat of arms of the Congo. AK is depicted on the emblem of the Lebanese grouping «Hezbollah».
9. In some African countries, a newborn is given a name Kalash — in honor of Kalashnikov.
10. Russian basketball player Andrey Kirilenko, born in the town of Izhevsk, which produces the famous Kalashnikov rifle, was nicknamed AK-47 in the US, speaking in the NBA for «Utah jazz» at number 47.
11. In Egypt, on the Sinai Peninsula, a monument to Kalashnikov. In Iraq there is a mosque, minarets were built in the form of shops AK.
12. The former President of Iraq Saddam Hussein was a gold-plated AK modified design.
13. Many of the video address «the terrorist number one» Osama bin Laden is made in the «background» AK.
14. In 2008, the Central Bank issued coins with the image of the Kalashnikov assault rifle in honor of the 450th anniversary of the accession of Udmurtia in Russia.
15. For the 60th anniversary of arms in New Zealand minted coins with engraving AK are in denominations of two new Zealand dollar.
16. At the end of XX century the French magazine «libération» recognized Kalashnikov’s invention of the century. The famous weapon was able to bypass the atomic bomb and space technology.
17. In 2004, the magazine «Playboy» called the Kalashnikov one of the «50 products that changed the world», defining its place after Apple computer’s Macintosh, contraceptive pills and VCR Sony Betamax.
18. Kalashnikov a particular model is the most popular weapon in video games — it is available in almost all 3D-«shooter».
19. It is believed that the Kalashnikov assault rifle killed more people than in the result of artillery fire, and air raids against rocket attacks. Every year from bullets of AK killed a quarter million people.
20. Legendary Russian gunsmith Mikhail Kalashnikov says life has invented a weapon for protection, not for murder: «I sleep good at night because I have always created a weapon for protection. This policy can not agree and use it to murder».